- Career Magazine
- My Science Career
- Find A Job
- Graduate Programs
- Tools & Tips
- For Employers
The Science Careers website is maintained by The American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1200 New York Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20005.
This Privacy Statement sets forth the online data collection and usage policies and practices that apply to the Science Careers web site. Your data will be stored and processed in whole or in part in the United States. If you access Science Careers outside the United States, your usage of that site constitutes consent to the transfer of your data out of your country and to the United States.
Information We Collect
In some areas of our website, Science Careers requests or may request that you provide personal information, including your name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, credit card number, Social Security number, contact information, billing information and any other information from which your identity is discernible. In other areas, Science Careers collects or may collect demographic information that is not unique to you such as your ZIP code, age, preferences, gender, interests, and favorites. Sometimes we collect or may collect a combination of the two types of information. Examples of areas on Science Careers where we collect, or may collect, personal or combined personal and demographic data are pages where you can sign up to use a service, post a resume, enter a contest, or purchase a product.
We also gather or may gather certain information about your use of our site, such as what areas you visit and what services you access. Moreover, there is information about your computer hardware and software that is or may be collected by Science Careers. This information can include, without limitation, your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times, and referring website addresses.
Please remember that if you post any of your personal information in public areas of its Affiliated Websites, such as in online forums or chat rooms, such information may be collected and used by others over whom Science Careers has no control. We are not responsible for the use made by third parties of information you post or otherwise make available in public areas of Science Careers. Since we believe that managing your career is a lifelong process, we retain indefinitely all the information we gather about you in an effort to make your repeat use with us more efficient, practical, and relevant. (The term "affiliated companies" is defined in the section of the Statement entitled "Contact Information.")
Use of Information by Science Careers
The information collected may be used by Science Careers for the purpose of operating and improving the Science Careers website, fostering a positive user experience, and delivering the products and services that we offer. We may also use the information we gather to inform you of other products or services available from Science Careers and/or its Affiliated Websites to contact you about your opinion of current products and services or potential new products and services that may be offered. (The term "affiliated companies" is defined in the section of the Statement entitled "Contact Information.")
We may use your contact information in order to send you e-mail or other communications regarding updates at the Science Careers site or its Affiliated Websites, such as Job Alerts, newsletters, new Science Careers opportunities, and additional listings which may be of interest to you. The nature and frequency of these messages will vary depending upon the information we have about you. In addition, at the time of registration for Job Alerts, you have the option to elect to receive additional communications, information, and promotions including, without limitation, free informational newsletters from Science Careers relating to topics that may be of special interest to you, such as career management advice. (The term "affiliated companies" is defined in the section of the Statement entitled "Contact Information.")
We have, or may have, an area where you can submit feedback. Any feedback you submit in this area becomes our property, and we can use such feedback (such as success stories) for marketing purposes or contact you for further information.
Disclosure of Information to Others
We do not disclose to third parties your personal information, combined personal and demographic information, or information about your use of Science Careers (such as the areas you visit or the services you access), except as set forth in the following four subparagraphs.
- We may disclose such information to third parties if you consent to such disclosure. For example we may use data we have about you (such as the interests and preferences you have expressed) to determine whether you might be interested in the products or services of a particular third party.
- We may disclose such information to companies and individuals we employ to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include hosting our web servers, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. These companies and individuals will have access to your personal information as necessary to perform their functions, but they may not share that information with any other third party.
- We may disclose such information if legally required to do so, if requested to do so by a governmental entity, or if we believe in good faith that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Science Careers or its affiliated companies; (c) prevent a crime or protect national security; or (d) protect the personal safety of users or the public.
- We may disclose and transfer such information to a third party who acquires all or a substantial portion of Science Careers business, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation, or purchase of all or a substantial portion of our assets. In addition, in the event Science Careers becomes the subject of a bankruptcy proceeding, whether voluntary or involuntary, Science Careers or its trustee in bankruptcy may sell, license, or otherwise dispose of such information in a transaction approved by the bankruptcy court. Science Careers may also share aggregated anonymous information about visitors to its website with its clients, partners and other third parties so that they may understand the kinds of visitors to Science Careers site and how those visitors use the site.
Since Science Careers is a career site, we give you the option of putting your resume in our database. There are two ways of doing this:
- You can post your resume in our database on a confidential basis and choose who sees the resume. You will be notified via e-mail and asked if you want to release your resume to a specified organization. However, even if a resume is confidential, some elements of it may be viewed.
- If you allow your resume to be searchable, then all parties with access to our searchable resume database (or copies thereof) will have access to your resume. We attempt to limit access to our searchable resume database (or copies thereof) only to paying employers, recruiters, hiring managers, headhunters, and human resource professionals, as well as law enforcement and national security agencies, but cannot guarantee that other parties will not gain access to this database. We are not responsible for the use made of resumes by third parties who access such resumes while they are in our searchable database. You may remove your resume from our searchable database at any time. However, employers, recruiters, and others who have paid for access to that database or to obtain a copy of that database, as well as parties who have otherwise gained access to the database, may have retained a copy of your resume in their own files or databases. We are not responsible for the retention, use, or privacy of resumes in these instances.
Use of Web Beacons
Science Careers web pages may contain electronic images known as web beacons (sometimes called single-pixel GIFs) that allow us to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. Web beacons are not used to access your personally identifiable information on Science Careers; they are a technique we use to compile aggregated statistics about our website usage. Web beacons collect only a limited set of information including a cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides.
Updating Your Information
If you opted to receive newsletters, commercial e-mails, or other communications from Science Careers, but subsequently change your mind, you may opt out by contacting us via e-mail. If you previously opted not to receive such communications, you may later opt in by contacting us via e-mail.
If you supplied us with your telephone number online, you may receive telephone contact from us with information regarding orders placed online.
Science Careers has implemented reasonable technical and organizational measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, or disclosure. In addition, all credit transactions occur in a secure area of our site, to protect you from any loss, misuse or alteration of information collected. However, we cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will never be able to defeat those measures or use your personal information for improper purposes. When you place an order online at Science Careers, your credit card information is protected through the use of encryption utilizing Secure Socket Layer ("SSL") protocol, the industry standard in transferring information to process your orders. The SSL encrypts, or translates, your order information into a highly indecipherable code, which is processed immediately. When you've finished your transactions and begin the checkout process, you will move into the secure area of our site. A warning window may pop up to notify you that you are entering this "safe" area. Once you've entered, the page address (URL) will change from http to https, to let you know you are in a secure area. Also, a key or a closed lock will appear in the lower left hand corner of your screen to notify you of this change. You will remain in this secure zone for the entire checkout process. In addition, Science Careers reveals only the last five digits of your credit card number when confirming an order. Of course, we securely transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card service company during order processing.
Science Careers is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13.
Changes to Privacy Statement
If we decide to change our Privacy Statement for Science Careers, we will post those changes here so that you will always know what information we gather, how we might use that information, and to whom we will disclose it. If at any time, you have questions or concerns about Science Careers Privacy Statement, please feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us at 202-312-6375 and speak to one of our representatives.
We welcome your comments concerning this Privacy Statement. If you believe that we have not adhered to this Statement, please contact us by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to promptly determine and remedy the problem. Thank you for using Science Careers.
Contact Information Science Careers is a name under which The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), a Massachusetts corporation with its principal place of business at 1200 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20005, and its affiliated websites do business. ("Affiliated Websites" means entities that are under common control with AAAS, and include, but are not limited to, AAAS, Next Wave)