Tools & Tips | Outreach
Development Workshops & Events
In addition to providing online resources through ScienceCareers.org, Science Careers runs a comprehensive outreach program designed to bring career and professional development workshops to graduate, postdoctoral, and early-career scientists.
Our Career Development workshops include Interviewing Skills, Nonacademic Careers for Scientists, Resumes and CVs, Creative Job Search Strategies, How to Publish in Science, Lab Management, Work/Life Balance, Grant Writing, and Getting the Most Out of a Job Fair, among others.
The workshops are held in various settings including at universities and colleges, at conferences and trade shows, and as stand-alone events in areas with large numbers of graduate students or postdocs.
Career Development Resources
From creating a CV to the basics of lab management there are a wide array of issues you'll face in your career. Luckily, there are plenty of resources available to help you.
Science Careers Booklets
Recordings of Outreach Events
- Making New Connections: Networking Strategically (MP3 download)
- Careers Away from the Bench (Video)
- Nontraditional Careers: Opportunities Away from the Bench (Webinar)
- Careers Options Away from the Research Bench for Scientists (Webinar)
- Neuroscience Drug Discovery and Development (MP3 Download)
- How to Publish in Science (MP3 Download)
Outreach Event Slides & Handouts
- Career Options and Job Resources for Young Scientists (PDF)
- Careers Away from the Bench (PDF)
- Careers Away From the Bench Handout (PDF)
- Interviewing Skills (PDF)
- How to Have a Successful Postdoc Experience Slides (PDF)
- Job Search Essentials (PDF)
- Job Search Essentials Handout (PDF)
- Managing Your Relationship with Your Supervisor - Case Studies (PDF)
- Managing Your Relationship with Your Supervisor (PDF)
- Networking and Career Fairs (PDF)
- Networking Online Slides (PDF)
- Science Policy (PDF)
- Work/Life Balance (PDF)