Tools & Tips | Outreach
Careers Away From the Bench & Interviewing Skills
On October 26 and 27, 2010, we held two events at the Scripps Institute. Brianna Blaser presented on both Careers Away From the Bench and Interviewing Skills.
- Careers Away from the Bench handout (PDF)
- Careers Away from the Bench slides (PDF)
- Networking slides (PDF)
- Mastering Your Ph.D.: Goodbye to All That
- Scientist Lawyers: Test Tubes to Briefs
- Steering Science from a High Altitude
- A Matter of Policy
- Mastering Your Ph.D.: Exploring Nonprofit Organizations
- Science Writing: Some Tips for Beginners
- Analyzing Scientific Investments
- Transferring Skills to Tech Transfer
- Careers in Research Support
- Mastering Your Ph.D.: A Career in Management Consulting
- Education Research: A New (Tenure) Track for Scientists
- Do You Wanna Be a VAP (Visiting Assistant Professor)?
- Community College Faculty: Must Love to Teach
- Darwins Legacy: Rich Collections, Deep Expertise
- Careers in Perspective: Chemists Can Do Anything
- Scientists in Public Relations: Resources for Starting a Career
- A Toilet Technologist
- In Person: The Trick to a Rewarding Career
- Professional Polish
- The Other Side of the Interview
- Tooling Up: 15 Minutes to a Better Interview
- Tooling Up: Six Classic Lines of Bull
Careers Away From the Bench
Could you be missing out on an exciting and rewarding career outside of academic or industrial research? Increasingly, Ph.D.-level scientists are becoming aware of other career opportunities beyond bench research. This workshop considered what a career path in these so-called "nontraditional" areas might look like. We discussed the types of alternative careers available, parlaying your current skills and values into a new area, ways to research career options, and developing needed skills.
Whether youve got a job interview scheduled or youre just starting to think about the job search process, its never too early to start thinking about how to best present yourself to employers. In this workshop, we walked through every step of the interviewing process from initial phone interviews to preparing for the big day to following up with your interviewers. Attendees learned about what employers want to see from job applicants and what job applicants should ask about during an interview. After the workshop, attendees were prepared to ensure their job interviews are great conversations with potential employers.
Questions? E-mail email@example.com
See all Outreach Events